Sponsor Your Spouse, Partner or Child

Home > Family Sponsorship > Sponsor Your Spouse, Partner or Child
Request Free Consultation
1 Step 1
Practice Area: Immigration Law
Your Name
Your Message
0 /

Associate Lawyers

Jagmohan Singh Nanda
Jagmohan Singh Nanda
Veena C. Gupta
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
Vasim Shaikh
Vasim Shaikh

Sponsor Spouse, Common Law Partner or Child to Canada

A Canadian citizen or permanent resident who wish to bring their spouse, partner or child can apply under this category of immigration. Spouse and partner sponsorship have three different categories – spousal, common-law and conjugal partner sponsorship. Each spousal category has its own legal implications.

There are two ways to apply for the sponsorship:

  • Overseas sponsorship – suitable for spouses or partners outside Canada
  • In-land sponsorship – for a spouse or partner living in Canada

How to Apply

This is a two-step application process:

  • A Person applies to the government with their “intent to sponsor”
  • The sponsored applicant can now apply for permanent residency after the sponsor’s application is approved
  • Police clearance certificate and medical examination need to be completed after sponsorship application has been made (applicable for sponsorship applicants aged 18 years or older

There are some specific rules for sponsoring a child. The children being sponsored must be under 22 years of age and unmarried. In case the child is more than 22 years of age, they will be eligible for sponsorship if they are financially dependent on parents due to any mental or physical condition.

Who Can be a Sponsor?

Eligibility criteria for a person, wishing to be a sponsor include:

  • Possess permanent residency or citizenship of Canada
  • Age should be 18 or older
  • Reside in Canada or show intent to reside in Canada once the sponsored applicant gets permanent residency of Canada successfully
  • Quebec sponsorship regulations need to be satisfied if the intent is to live in Quebec
  • Demonstrate suitable income receipts to cover the basic needs of the sponsored applicant

Our specialized immigration lawyers and consultants will assist you to resolve all your immigration queries.