Parents Sponsorship – Canadian Permanent Residence or Super Visa Program
Canadian Citizens and permanent residents, who want to bring their parents or grandparents to live with them, can apply under any of the two suitable programs – Super Visa program or Parent & Grandparent Sponsorship (PGP) under Family Class. Successful applicants who receive the permanent residency under this program can even apply for Canadian citizenship in the future.
Immigration, Citizenship and Refugees Canada (IRCC) announced on August 20, 2018, that 20,000 applications for parent and grandparent sponsorship will be accepted in 2018. From 2019, the application invitations will be issued on a first come, first served basis in which the Interest to Sponsor forms will be received.
Once the invitation is received, the persons who applied to sponsor will need to submit their application and successfully clear the eligibility requirements. It is recommended to contact an Immigration lawyer or Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant well-versed in Immigration Law to apply under this time-sensitive program.
How to Apply
Let’s look at the steps involved in the application process for Parent and Grandparent Sponsorship Program:
- Permanent residents and Canadian citizens who want to be sponsors need to apply online on IRCC
- Application for ‘interest to sponsor’ is not an application in itself; it just signifies intent to sponsor
- IRCC makes an invitation to apply to the applicants on a first come first served basis
- Applicants have a time period of sixty (60) days from the date of invitation; to prepare and submit the complete application
Who Can be a Sponsor?
Eligibility criteria for a sponsor in Canada under this program include:
- Possess permanent residency or Canadian citizenship
- Aged 18 years or more
- Parents sponsorship Canada income requirements: must be above the minimum threshold for this program (for married or common-law relationships, both spouses’ income is included)
- Sign an undertaking agreeing to repay any social assistance benefit paid to the sponsor and accompanying family member(s) by the province for a period of 20 years, if necessary
- Quebec sponsors need to provide an additional “undertaking.”
- Demonstrate explicit proof of meeting the minimum income requirements and submit the CRA issued Notices of Assessment for three consecutive years
What Is The Income Requirement For A Parents Sponsor As Per The Federal Government Regulations?
The below is the income requirement table applicable to all Canadian residents and citizens except those in the province of Quebec. The sponsor and the co-signer are required to meet the minimum necessary income for the last three successive years. The basis for this table is the low income cut offs plus 30%.
For 2017, 2016 and 2015, sponsors will need to provide the Notice of Assessment as received from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
Super Visa Program
Under this immigration program, Canadian citizens and permanent residents can bring their parents and grandparents to Canada as long-term visitors for a period of ten (10) years.
The applicants receive multiple-entry Visa on their passport which allows them to enter and exit Canada any number of times in that ten-year period. Duration of each stay of the Super Visa holder will be up to a maximum of two years after which they will need to exit and then enter Canada again.
The parent or grandparent applying for the Super Visa needs to meet all the requirements for a regular Visit Visa, and additional requirements include:
- Letter of commitment of financial support from their child or grandchild who is sponsoring them in Canada
- Documentation that the Canadian sponsor has met the minimum income requirements
- Possess a Canadian health insurance policy for at least one year
- Successfully complete the medical examination for immigration
- Temporary Resident Visa may be required for the Super Visa applicant based on the citizenship of certain countries
Our well-informed immigration lawyers and consultants will assist you to resolve all your immigration queries. Whether you need help to understand the Super Visa eligibility requirements or prepare the Application to Sponsor, our capable lawyers at Nanda & Associate Lawyers will ensure the best possible outcomes for you and your family.