Express Entry Visa Application – Immigrate to Canada
Express Entry is an application system for immigration to Canada. Potential applicants for permanent residency can submit their profiles into the online Express Entry system. Applicants are allocated points based on various selection criteria, and highest ranked applicants are invited to apply for permanent residency in Canada.
Which immigration categories are covered in Express Entry?
- The Skilled Worker Program
- The Skilled Trades Program
- The Canadian Experience Class
- Ontario’s Provincial Nominee Program
Who Can Apply Under Express Entry?
Eligibility under the express entry is governed by the individual selection criteria of the immigration category under which the application is made. To know more, please see the pages below:
- Federal Skilled Worker program
- Federal Skilled Trades program
- Canadian Experience Class
- Provincial Nominee Programs
How does Express Entry function?
- Foreign nationals wanting to apply for permanent residency in Canada complete their online profile on Express Entry system
- Applicant profiles are ranked based on a points system which assigns points to various selection criteria like education, age, work experience and more
- Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s (IRCC) establishes a minimum points cut-off as a selection criterion
- Applicants who are highly ranked and meet the minimum cut-off are eligible to receive an invitation from IRCC to apply for permanent residency of Canada
- Applicants invited to apply will have 60 days to submit their full application. Earlier this timeline was for 90 days to submit documents but has been changed recently.
- Provinces in Canada also select candidates through Express Entry pool such as Ontario Human Capital stream. Provinces other than Ontario also select candidates from EE pool according to the criteria prescribed by the province.
- Application for permanent residency is processed in the stipulated processing time of approximately six to twelve months
How are points awarded in Express Entry?
Each applicant profile is awarded points based on specific selection criteria:
- Education completed in any country except Canada
- Education completed in a Canadian college or university gets additional points
- Language proficiency in English or French, which are Canada’s official languages
- Work experience and job skills
- Possession of a job offer from a Canadian employer
- Spouse’s profile including their education, work experience and language abilities
- Possession of provincial nomination