The Student Direct Stream is a new immigration program recently introduced in June 2018 by the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
Study permits applied by students from China, India, Philippines and Vietnam are considered in this stream for faster processing. This is a consolidated and streamlined program which combines the existing study permit applications from these countries.
Who can apply
A legal resident from the below countries is eligible to apply under this stream:
The students who possess citizenship of the above countries but living in another country are not eligible to apply under this stream. They need to apply under the standard study permit process.
What is the Application Process?
The documents needed for the application process are many, including:
- Acceptance letter copy issued by the designated college, university or other learning institution
- Medical examination clearance document
- Demonstrate proof of Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of $10,000
- Demonstrate proof of full payment of first-year tuition fees
- Meet the education requirements of high school graduation
- Successfully meet the language proficiency requirements in English or French
Once the application is approved, the IRCC issues the below documents to the selected applicant:
- an introduction letter to be presented to the immigration official at the port of entry in Canada
- a temporary resident visa to enter Canada
- a study permit valid until completion of the school year
In case the application is not approved, the reasons for refusal are elaborated in the letter sent to the applicant.
It can be noted that the IRCC has expressly stated that more countries are being considered for inclusion under the Student Direct Stream program.
If you have questions concerning the procedures needed to obtain a study permit, please call our office.