As per the Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB) and Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), when refugee protection is conferred upon a person whose claim has been approved, they are known as protected persons.
How Can You Determine If You A Protected Person?
A protected person can apply for a letter of determination from the IRB or CIC. They include:
- Foreign nationals who need protection as per the IRB;
- Foreign nationals determined to be convention refugees by the IRB;
- Foreign nationals who receive a positive Pre-Removal Risk Assessment (excluding persons covered under section 112(3) of the Act);
- Foreign nationals who are members of the Humanitarian-Protected Persons Abroad classes;
- Foreign nationals who are members of the Convention Refugees Abroad class.