A Canadian citizen or permanent resident who wish to bring their spouse, partner or child can apply under this category of immigration. Spouse and partner sponsorship has three different categories – spousal, common-law, and conjugal partner sponsorship. Each spousal category has its own legal implications.
There are two ways to apply for the sponsorship:
- Overseas sponsorship – suitable for spouses or partners outside Canada
- In-land sponsorship – for a spouse (Husband, Wife, Common-law partner) living in Canada. The sponsored person needs to have legal status in Canada as a worker, student, or visitor.
Spousal Sponsorship Canada
This is a two-step application process:
- A Person applies to the government with their “intent to sponsor”
- The sponsored applicant can now apply for permanent residency after the sponsor’s application is approved
- Police clearance certificate and medical examination need to be completed after sponsorship application has been made (applicable for sponsorship applicants aged 18 years or older
There are some specific rules for sponsoring a child. The children being sponsored must be under 22 years of age and unmarried. In case the child is more than 22 years of age, they will be eligible for sponsorship if they are financially dependent on parents due to any mental or physical condition.
Who Can be a Sponsor?
Eligibility criteria for a person, wishing to be a sponsor include:
- Possess permanent residency or citizenship of Canada
- Age should be 18 or older
- Reside in Canada or show intent to reside in Canada once the sponsored applicant gets permanent residency of Canada successfully
- Quebec sponsorship regulations need to be satisfied if the intent is to live in Quebec
- Demonstrate suitable income receipts to cover the basic needs of the sponsored applicant
Inland spousal sponsorship gives applicants the ability to continue living in Canada while their application for permanent residence is processed. We can help in inland spousal sponsorship applications.
Inland Spousal Sponsorship Requirements
For a permanent resident to be deemed eligible to sponsor their Inland spousal, they must:
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident living in Canada
- Be at least 18 years of age at the time of submitting their sponsorship application
- Not have received spousal sponsorship to Canada within the last five years
- Not be bankrupt, in prison, or charged with a serious offense
- Not be under a removal order, if they are a Canadian permanent resident
Outland Spousal Sponsorship
Outland sponsorship applications are submitted from abroad and spouses who reside in a country other than Canada. Outland sponsorship applications are processed by the visa office in the foreign national’s home country. if your loved one is not living legally in Canada at the time of application, Outland sponsorship is likely the only option available to you.
Learn more about Family Class Sponsorship Refusal: Spouse Sponsorship Application Refused
Our specialized immigration lawyers and consultants will assist you to resolve all your immigration queries.