Canadian employers can hire foreign workers on work permit under the ‘The International Mobility Program’ (IMP). Under this program, Canadian employers do not require to have the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).
The IMP program is managed by the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), along with Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) and Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA).
The International Mobility Program is conducted:
- To enhance the economic and cultural interest of Canada
- To support the trade agreements of Canada with other countries
- For jobs which do not need an LMIA
Which positions do not require the LMIA?
LMIA is not required for positions in Canada which allow Canada to maintain and grow cultural or economic advantages. Positions which provide citizens and permanent residents of Canada with reciprocal benefits are also included.
Which type of workers are eligible for ‘The International Mobility Program (IMP)’?
- Workers who enter Canada under specified trade agreements like the Comprehensive Economic Trade Agreement (CETA) or North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)
- Workers with an open work permit who enter Canada
- Workers who are inter-company transferees to Canada
Process of ‘The International Mobility Program’ (IMP)
- Employer creates their account and company profile on the IRCC employer portal
- Employer uploads complete job details like education and experience required, list of duties, wages and benefits
- Final job offer is released through the IRCC’s Employer Portal
- Once job offer is submitted, a unique offer of employment number is generated which the employer sends to the foreign worker
- the foreign worker mentions this number in their work permit application
After the work permit application is approved, the foreign worker receives:
- If they are outside Canada, they receive a letter of introduction
- If they are inside Canada, they receive a new work permit
- Work permit is granted at the port of entry once the foreign worker hands in the letter of introduction
Our dedicated immigration lawyers and consultants will be assist you to resolve all your immigration queries.