In the Federal Skilled Trades Program, foreign nationals in skilled trades are given an opportunity to apply for permanent residency in Canada. This program was introduced to counter the labour shortages in different skilled trades across Canada. Applicant’s capability to economically establish themselves in Canada is assessed in this program.
Persons with certification in specific trades and job offers can obtain permanent residency in any Canadian province apart from Quebec, which has its separate immigration programs. Applicants must have work experience in category Skill Level B in the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC).
Eligibility requirements for Federal Skilled Trades
As per the Federal Skilled Trades category, an applicant needs to successfully submit their profile under the Express Entry System. Once the applicant enters the pool of potential candidates, they are assessed on the basis of several factors:
- Possess a certificate of qualification from a territorial or provincial body
- Possess employment offer from up to two Canadian employers for at least one year
- Demonstrate basic language proficiency in either one, of the two official languages of Canada- French or English
- Possess minimum 24 months of skilled trade work experience in the past five years
- Should be able to exhibit experience, skills and perform duties of the specific occupation
Federal Skilled Trades – Included trades
The NOC categories of skilled trades included in this program are:
- Major Group 72: industrial, electrical and construction trades,
- Major Group 73: maintenance and equipment operation trades,
- Major Group 82: supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production,
- Major Group 92: processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators,
- Minor Group 632: chefs and cooks, and
- Minor Group 633: butchers and bakers.
Provinces such as Ontario has a separate program known as the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program for persons who choose to reside in Ontario under Skill Trade category. Quebec has their own immigration program for persons selecting Quebec as their home.
Our dedicated immigration lawyers and consultants will assist you to resolve all your immigration queries.