According to news reports, Canada is experiencing a major labour shortage. The country doesn’t have enough skilled workers to meet the industry requirements. But what has led to an employee shortage in Canada? Surveys show that a large majority of the Canadian population includes people near retirement age, aged between 18 and 54.
Additionally, around 7.1 million people in Canada are aged 65 or above, making up 19% of Canada’s total population. These numbers indicate that the Canadian workforce is aging rapidly, leaving a major gap. Also, Canada has a low birth rate. In 2020, Canada had the lowest birth rate since 2020, indicating that the birth rate is low enough to not meet the population replacement needs.
Therefore, it shouldn’t be surprising that Canada accepts skilled workers from all over the world. The Canadian Government plans on accepting 465,000 immigrants to Canada in 2023, increasing the numbers to 500,000 in 2025. The constant acceptance of large numbers of immigrants shows that Canada is highly dependent on foreign workers to keep up with their economic growth and development.
According to news reports, immigrants in Canada were responsible for 79.9% of Canada’s employee growth between 2016-2021, making the country the ideal place for people who want to expand their careers.
Besides the huge demand for skilled workers in Canada, the country has several employee rights regulations, making it a suitable option for workers in every industry. Employees in Canada receive health care benefits, paid leaves for various occasions, and paid vacation days.
Additionally, Canadian Law mandates all employers to accommodate employees with disabilities and to make the workplace more inclusive. In Canada, employees rarely have to deal with discrimination in the workplace, as the country is multicultural and diverse.
So what’s stopping you from hiring an immigration consultant and getting a work visa for Canada? This article discusses the requirements for getting a work visa for Canada.
Determine What Type of Work Permit You Need
Foreign nationals need a work permit or work visa to start working in Canada. While getting a work visa might seem like a simple process, you need to consider various factors before trying to meet the requirements of getting a work visa for Canada. Here are the two common types of work visas available in Canada.
Employer-Specific Work Permit
As the name suggests, an employer-specific work visa lets you work for a specific employer. This means that you can’t apply for other jobs and stay on a work visa in Canada for only as long as your employment term.
Open Work Permit
On the other hand, an open work permit allows you to apply for jobs and work for any employer or business in Canada. However, you can’t work for an employer who’s termed ineligible by the Canadian Authorities due to failure to comply with industry regulations. Additionally, you need to remember that you can only get an open work permit under specific conditions.
What Are the Eligibility Requirements for the Applicants for a Canadian Work Visa?
Whether you need an open work permit or an employer-specific work permit, you need to meet some general eligibility requirements. Here are the eligibility criteria for all applicants.
- Applicants need to be in good physical and mental health and should be willing to take a medical examination if required.
- People applying for a Canadian work visa or permit need to show that they have enough money to support themselves during their stay in Canada. They should also have enough funds to cover their return trip to their country of origin once the visa period is up.
- Applicants shouldn’t have any criminal record. The IRCC might ask them to show that they’re law-abiding residents by submitting police clearance certifications. The applicants also need to show that they aren’t a danger to Canada’s security. People with a history of being a part of organized crime, human rights violations, war, or terrorism activities aren’t eligible for a Canadian work visa.
- You need to prove to the immigration officer that you have plans to return to your home country once your visa period is up. For this, you can show that you have ties to your country of origin like valuable assets or family.
- People need to mention that they don’t plan on working for any ineligible employer or company to get a Canadian work visa.
- Additionally, applicants need to discuss that they don’t have plans to work for a business that offers erotic services like stripteasing, erotic massages, escort services, etc.
- The applicants should also provide the immigration officer with any other documents they need to verify the applicant’s eligibility.
Specific Eligibility Requirements to Apply from Inside Canada
People based in foreign countries can apply for a Canadian work visa if they meet the general applicant criteria. However, if you’re applying from inside Canada, you have to meet some additional requirements. Here are the specific eligibility criteria to apply for a Canadian work visa from inside the country.
- Applicants with a valid study or work permit can apply for another work permit.
- People with spouses who have Canadian study or work permits can apply for any kind of work permit. Additionally, you can also apply for a Canadian work visa if your common-law partner or parent has a valid work or study permit.
- Applicants with a temporary resident permit that can last for more than six months can also apply for a Canadian work visa.
- People who have claimed refugee protection in Canada can apply for a work visa from inside Canada. This also applies to people who have already been granted refugee status in Canada.
- If you have applied for permanent residence in Canada and are waiting for a decision, you can apply for a work visa.
- People who already have work permits for their current job can apply to get a work permit for another job from inside Canada.
- Intra-company transfereesor investors are eligible to apply for a Canadian work visa from inside the country.
Requirements for Employer-Specific Work Permit
If you’re applying for an employer-specific work permit, here are some eligibility requirements you need to keep in mind.
- You need to provide the name of your employer, the duration of your contract, and the location of your company while applying.
- Applicants should attach a copy of their employment contract, the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). Applicants can get this information from their employees. Additionally, if you’re exempt from LMIA, you need to provide the employment number with the form.
Requirements for Open Work Permit
Here are the eligibility criteria to get an open work permit in Canada.
- International students who are eligible for the Post-Graduate Work Permit Programcan apply for an open work permit in Canada.
- Temporary residence permit holders can apply for an open work visa in Canada.
- Protected people or refugees in Canada are eligible to apply for open work permits.
- If you have a highly-skilled spouse, parent, or common-law partner, you can apply for an open work permit.
- The children, spouse, or common-law partners of International students can also apply for open work permits.
- Young people in special programs can also apply for open work permits.
Considering Getting a Work Visa for Canada? Hire Immigration Lawyers from Nanda & Associate Lawyers
Since Canada has several available immigration streams to allow skilled foreign workers to enter the country, it’s essential to determine which immigration pathway works best for you. Therefore, it’s advisable to hire a highly-experienced immigration lawyer and let them help you get a work visa for Canada.
Nanda & Associate Lawyers has a team of Canadian immigration consultants who are well-versed in immigration law and have in-depth knowledge of various immigration streams. With three branches in Mississauga, Brampton, and Toronto, this law firm’s immigration consultants can guide you through the process of getting a work visa for Canada.
These immigration lawyers can help you understand the eligibility requirements for getting a work visa for Canada. Additionally, they’d introduce you to various immigration streams, helping you pick the right option. Canadian immigration consultants can help you gather documents and fill out the forms.
Additionally, they can provide you with tailored solutions to any issues that arise during the process. Whether you’re applying for the Federal Skilled Worker Program, the International Mobility Program, or some other immigration stream, these immigration lawyers can help you out.
Besides offering immigration law services and helping you get a work visa for Canada, Nanda & Associate Lawyers also has family law lawyers who handle divorce cases or family issues like the signing of prenuptial agreements or marital property division.
Their business lawyers manage the legal matters of operating companies. They also have wills and estate lawyers who provide legal guidance and representation in probate and estate planning matters. Their commercial real estate lawyers handle the buying, selling, and leasing commercial buildings in Ontario. Additionally, their personal injury lawyers help accident victims file compensation claims.
Book a consultation session with their Canadian immigration lawyers and get a work visa for Canada in no time.
Disclaimer: This article is only intended for educational purposes and shouldn’t be used as a substitute for legal advice.