4 Things That Invalidate Your Refugee Claim

A couple going through the refugee claim process.

While Canada is one of the most lenient countries regarding immigration and refugees, the country has a fairly comprehensive and detailed set of rules and regulations. It’s recommended that you have an immigration lawyer in Toronto to help you and give you the relevant information that applies to you in your refugee claim to prevent any legal issues:

Already a Protected Person

If you’re already a protected person, you have refugee protection in Canada and cannot make a refugee claim. People whole become protected through resettlement, become a refugee by the Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB), or have had positive pre-removal risk assessments included in this.

Convictions in Canada

You’re not allowed to make a refugee claim in Canada if you’ve been convicted in Canada for an offence that was punishable by a prison term of at least ten years.

Convictions Outside Canada

If a person has convictions outside Canada that, if committed in Canada, would have been punishable by a maximum prison term of 10 years or more, their refugee claims are inadmissible.

Convention Refugee by A Country Other Than Canada

A person cannot be eligible for determination by the RPD if they have been recognized as a Convention refugee by a country other than Canada. If the country in question does not readmit the person, this doesn’t apply to them. They should be considered a refugee according to the 1951 United Nations Refugee Convention.

The officer requires confirmation that the other country that recognized the person as a Convention refugee will not readmit the person in question.

A lawyer speaking to a client.

Making A Refugee Claim in A Country with Which Canada Has an Information-Sharing Agreement

If a person has made a refugee claim in a country with which Canada has an information-sharing agreement. The claim will be considered ineligible once it has been confirmed via information sharing.

The help of competent immigration lawyers in Toronto can help you prevent any invalidations for your refugee claims. Our professionals at Nanda and Associate Lawyers have worked with various people applying for Canadian spousal sponsorship and have made it into the country. We provide corporate lawyers, civil lawyers, commercial real estate lawyers, and family lawyers in Toronto.

Get in touch with us today or book an appointment with our professionals.

Leave a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Fill In the form below, We will get in touch with you as soon as possible.

Demo Description