How to Sponsor a Spouse, Common-Law or Conjugal Partner in Canada

Spouse Sponsorship
The residency and citizenship of people that are close to you are very important. If you want to sponsor a spouse, common-law, or conjugal partner, it is best to hire a well-versed immigration lawyer in Mississauga to help you both in every step of what can sometimes be a confusing process. Understanding how the law defines your relationship and what the requirements are to sponsorship is the first step to success.

Defining Common-Law Partner and Conjugal Partner

If you have questions about how your significant other may fit the definition of a common-law partner or conjugal partner, it is best to speak with an immigration lawyer in Mississauga. Generally, Canadian law defines a common-law partner as someone who:

  • Is of the same or opposite sex
  • Has lived with you for at least one year
  • Has a conjugal relationship with you

On the other hand, Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulation, R2 defines a conjugal partner as a foreign national residing outside Canada who is in a conjugal relationship with the sponsor and has been in that relationship for a period of at least one year. Although the word “conjugal” is not defined in legislation, there are number of factors that are used to determine whether a couple is in conjugal relationship. Our experience immigration lawyers can assist you in determine whether your unique situation matches the requirements of a conjugal relationship.

Canadian Requirements to Sponsor a Spouse, Common-law or Conjugal Partner

Only under certain conditions can you sponsor individuals in Canada. An experienced Mississauga immigration lawyer can help explain these conditions in depth so that you know what your eligibility is. You might be eligible to sponsor a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner or dependent children who live outside of Canada if one of the following conditions applies:

  • The person who you desire to sponsor is a member of the family class
  • You are over the age of 18
  • You are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
  • You currently live in Canada

If you are not currently living in Canada, but a citizen, you might be able to sponsor a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner or dependent children (who have no dependent children of their own) if you can demonstrate that you will live in Canada when the person you are sponsoring becomes a resident.
You must sign an agreement promising to provide for the welfare and necessary requirements of the individual you are sponsoring. The agreement will also cover any dependent children they may have. In addition, you and the person you are sponsoring will have to sign an agreement that confirms that each of you understands your joint duties and responsibilities.
If you entered Canada on or after March 2, 2012, as a sponsored spouse or partner, you cannot sponsor a new spouse or partner until five years elapses from the date you arrived in the country.

Help with Sponsorship from a Knowledgeable Mississauga Immigration Lawyer

You likely have crucial and maybe even time-sensitive reasons for wanting to sponsor someone close to you. We understand your needs and the stress that comes with this process. Our goal is not only to help you succeed in your sponsorship but to also make this time less challenging. Schedule your sponsorship consultation today.
Connect with our immigration lawyers by calling (905)-405-0199 or Email us: We assist clients of all nationalities and backgrounds and offer services in 15 different languages, including English, French, Hindi, Punjabi, Gujarati, Bangla, Chinese, Italian, Telugu, and Tamil.

Fill In the form below, We will get in touch with you as soon as possible.

Demo Description