Proof of Language Skills for Canadian Immigration

cityscape of Vancouver

People worldwide are interested in moving to Canada due to the country’s multi-cultural and open-door policies. Each year, approximately 300,000 new immigrants make their way into Canada. This number has increased by 20% in the past decade.

Despite their open-door policies, Canada has a standard immigration system that you need to follow. One major requirement for permanent residency in the country is proficient language skills.

Here’s everything you need to know about providing proof of language skills. Contact our Canadian immigration lawyers to learn more.

Speaking and Listening Skills

There are many things you need to consider before moving to Canada. However, language is one of the most important ones.

Toronto-cityscape You must submit proof of speaking and listening comprehension skills at Level 4 of Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) or higher in French or English. To do this, you need to submit documents when you send in your application for permanent residency.

However, you should keep in mind that your application won’t be processed if your proof is unintelligible or isn’t attached to your application.

Provide Documents As Proof

There are many documents you can submit to give proof of meeting the language requirements. These include:

  1. Proof from government-funded language training programs
  2. Documents of results of an IRCC-approved third-party test.
  3. Evidence that you completed secondary or post-secondary education in English or French. This document can be from Canada or abroad.

Take a Language Test As Proof

You can also submit proof of your language skills by taking tests. This process can especially be helpful if you’re taking the Express Entry pathway to permanent residency in Canada. Here are some requirements for taking the tests.

  1. First, you should schedule your test with an IRCC-approved agency and pay its fee
  2. Understand what tests you can take to assure your qualification
  3. Enter the results of your test to your Express Entry profile

Tests You Can Take As Proof

Here are some of the approved tests you can take in order to prove your language proficiency:

English Tests

  1. Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program or CELPIP
  2. International English Language Testing System or IELTS

Remember that you can’t take the General-LS test for Express Entry. Additionally, Express Entry also doesn’t accept academic options for IELTS.

French Tests  

  1. TEF Canada: Test d’évaluation de français(TEF)
  2. TCF Canada: Test de connaissance du français(TCF)

Do you need help from experienced Canadian immigration lawyers to simplify the immigration process? If yes, then try our services at Nanda & Associate Lawyers.

Nanda & Associate Lawyers is a leading boutique law firm with exemplary immigration lawyers in Canada with vast experience in helping you with immigration appeals, family sponsorships, spouse sponsorships, and more.

Get in touch with us today to get started with us.

Disclaimer: This article is only intended for educational purposes and shouldn’t be used as a substitute for legal advice.


Leave a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.