The Student Work Abroad Program (SWAP) is a youth mobility programs which allows US citizens between the ages of 18 to 35 to come to Canada on an open-work permit for up to one year. An open work permit allows the holder to work for any employer in Canada.
SWAP works together with a number of partner companies through which the application is made. Once the SWAP partner approves the applicant, the applicant can then submit their profile into the International Experience Canada (IEC) pool and when selected (usually on a bi-weekly basis), will be in receipt of an open work permit from Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada.
The applicant must be aware of the following requirements in order to be eligible for the program:
- Be a citizen of the U.S.A
- Be between the ages of 18 to 35
- Must show proof of a minimum of $2,500 CAD in their bank account
- Must show proof of medical insurance to cover the entire length of the work permit
- Provide a resume
- Not be inadmissible into Canada (to look at inadmissibility grounds: Click here)