Caregiver Applications in Canada: All You Need to Know


Canada has recently become the top destination for individuals interested in immigration.

Many immigrants and refugees head to the country for a better life due to its relatively open and well-regulated immigration and permanent residence policies. It’s especially true in regards to workers like caregivers. In fact, Canada has made attempts to increase the number of permanent resident caregivers in the last couple of years.

If you’re interested in applying for caregiver positions in Canada, this blog is exactly what you need. Here’s everything you need to know about caregiver applications in Canada.

Retain Your  Temporary Resident Status

First, keeping your temporary resident status while working in Canada is essential. This is why you should extend your work permit before it expires. Similarly, you must also change its conditions before its expiration date.

If you’ve applied for a new work permit before your current permit expires, you’re liable to work under the conditions of the old permit.

Apply For The Two Pilot Immigration Programs

Recently, Canada has been accepting applications for two pilot programs regarding permanent residency. These programs aim to provide caregivers with a more straightforward pathway to permanent residency. These include the Home Child Care Provider and Home Support Worker programs.

How To Apply For Home Child Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker Pilot

Caregivers can easily apply for permanent residency through these programs. However, this depends on whether they’ve met the eligibility requirements or have a job offer for a caregiver position.

 caregiver talking to a patientApplicants will be assessed with a pass and fail method based on the documents provided during the time of application. The criteria for the application include:

  1. Education
  2. Language proficiency in official languages

In addition, applicants must also provide proof of qualifying Canadian work experience of at least two years. They must also give proof of a job offer in the respective field as well as the ability to perform that job.

Moreover, the applicants should submit a Canadian credential of 1-year post-secondary (or higher) education. If they’re a foreign national, they should submit an educational credential that’s equivalent to it. Further, they should also submit an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) issued by the IRCC.

Qualifying Canadian Work Experience

Applicants are required to submit proof of qualifying Canadian work experience. If applicants have less than 24 months of experience, they’ll receive an OROWP. After that, candidates must give evidence of 24-month work experience within a time limit of 36 months.

Do you need help immigrating to Canada? Nanda & Associate Lawyers offer experienced immigration lawyers in Mississauga.

At Nanda & Associate Lawyers, our immigration lawyers can assist you through the process of applying for a caregiver position. We also offer tailored services for immigration appeals, refugee claims, and spouse sponsorships.

Contact us now to find out more.


Disclaimer: This article is only intended for educational purposes and shouldn’t be used as a substitute for legal advice.

Leave a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.